Part P of the Building Regulations 2000

What works are covered under Part P ?

Generally speaking, Part P covers any alterations to the electrical installation in a Bathroom or Shower Room, a Swimming Pool or Sauna with an electric heater, the installation of a new consumer board or any new circuit, which involves wiring back to the consumer unit.

You should note from the above that Part P only applies to Dwellings. It does not cover commercial or industrial premises or buildings such as Schools and Community Centres. Part P does not apply to repairs that involve only the replacement of one appliance or accessory with another, similar item, where the wiring up to the electrical outlet point is not disturbed. It does not apply either, where only an extension is made to the circuitry in any other part of a dwelling other than those locations listed above.

What sort of certification should I expect from a Part P registered contractor ?
The electrician will issue a standard certificate that indicates the work was carried in accordance with British Standards BS7671, the wiring regulations. Any good electrician should issue such a certificate for any work carried out, except the most minor repair, irrespective as to whether it comes under the building regulations. However, if the work is covered by Part P the electrician will then notify his licensing authority and they, in turn, will inform the local authority that covers the area in which the premises is situated. The householder, or person ordering the works will then receive a further certificate from the licensing authority indicating that the details of the work have been lodged with the local authority. Both certificates should be kept safely as they may need to be produced if there is a fault or if the property is disposed of. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

What is the procedure if I do NOT want to use a Part P registered contractor ?

1) Before your start any work you must inform the Local Authority Building Control Department and submit details of the work you wish to undertake. These details should be accompanied by the appropriate drawings.

2) Once you have obtained permission to go ahead, the Local Authority's Building Inspector will probably visit to see the work in progress. If it is a big project the inspector may wish to make more than one visit.

3) Once the work is completed the inspector will probably wish to check it before they issue you with a certificate. This certificate should be kept safely as you may need to produce it if there is a fault or if you come to dispose of the property. If you cannot do so you will be committing a criminal offence. It is also a criminal offence to commence any notifiable works without making the proper application to the Local Authority Building Control Department. There will be charge for the services of the Local Authority's Building Inspector.

What is the penalty for not ensuring that all relevent work is properly certificated ?

Because non compliance with the Building Regulations is a criminal offence, the penalty has to be set by the local Magistrates Court, who will take into account the circumstances of the case. The penalty could be a fine and/or imprisonment. The "Standard" penalty, I understand, is a fine of �5000.00 for each offence plus a further penalty for every day, after the case, that the works go uncorrected and uncertificated.

Where can I get further information ?

Please try one of the links below :.....

BRE. The Part P registering authority connected with the E.C.A; The Electrical Contractors Association

British Standards Institute

Goggle it !

24 linkThese pages are written and maintained by Ian Heams. If you have any comments or queries please e-mail me